Tuesday, 25 October 2016

Kelowna Extreme Rarity Sighting!

   This post is a ways off its time....

   Hello everyone,

   In my city of Kelowna we had a awesome rarity! A Forster's Tern!!!! The bird was seen around October 16-17 and was a real treat.
   I set off on October 17th to the designated spot Mouth of Mission Creek. The bird was seen earlier that morning, and I had did not have high hopes for it was about 6 hours after that sighting. I arrived and found about 120 gulls. I excitedly scanned the bar for the Tern and then I saw it!! I was so pumped!!! I reached for camera and looked up again and it was gone.... I was so confused and disappointed, I stayed for a another 1/2 hour looking for him but no luck. Then 2 girls walked out onto the sandbar and they were spooking the flock. I wanted a quick look before they took off and then I saw the Forster's Tern again!!! Right then WHOOSH the flock took off. I was fuming, and quickly hopped on to the sandbar scanning the returning gulls, and the I SAW IT AGAIN! I quickly snapped some half decent photos of this rare bird, and hopped on my bike happy as can be!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145162454@N02/30098766350/in/dateposted-public/

Cheers
Matyas

No comments:

Post a Comment